Step 5: See Step 1.

Having finished the first segment of the rain garden, I turned this past weekend to the second chunk.

First, I strung a new line to mark the soil grade, because this segment of the garden has a different slope than the first. Also, this new segment abuts a small patio made of bricks we recycled when we took down a masonry chimney two years ago, and that edge has to be worked into the design with some thought.

I dug up the existing plants, which will probably not thank me this year because they’re just about to emerge from dormancy. I am really getting it under the wire here.

earth laid bare

Here’s the carnage.

plant carnage

One challenge I met in this new segment was the Baptisia australis I planted some years ago. It gets less sun than it would like, but it flowers well enough, and I love Baptisia’s form. I have several of them scattered throughout the garden, and the one in question was planted just a few feet from the patio’s edge.

Baptisias develop very long, thick taproots and absolutely do not like to be disturbed. I had hoped to be able to work around this plant, much as I had done with the tree roots. But it was simply not going to be possible. So I held my breath and plunged in the spade.

Murder!

baptisia roots

Those roots truly are massive compared to its typical above-ground growth and digging it out was not an easy task. Immediately afterward, I felt an irrational sense of guilt at what I’d done. I confess to being a sentimental person (guess who can’t bear to thin carrot seedlings?) but this sensation was inexcusable. Time to move on.

I added back the manure-grit mixture with a layer of native soil, and then it was time to plant.

rain garden second planting

I added back in rue, a yellow daylily, three dwarf foxgloves, Stokesia laevis ‘Peachie’s Pick,’ a volunteer Aquilegia, a green Rudbeckia that I grew from seed but has never bloomed (too much shade; maybe it will do better here), Acorus gramineus ‘Ogon,’ and a heavy smattering of crocus, daffodils, scilla, and grape hyacinths. And, of course, Ajuga.

segment 3 replanted

The nursery pots in the midground of the photo are there as placeholders for some plants I hope will succeed from my winter sowing project. Otherwise, I’d absolutely forget to leave space for them and would have to rearrange the furniture yet again in six weeks’ time.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s